Apply for a pass
Apply for a pass
Apply for a pass intro
Find out about a concessionary travel pass and a companion pass for those who are unable to travel alone.
About concessionary travel
Find out about applying for, replacing and renewing your bus pass here. Northumberland County Council participates in the government’s English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS). This scheme entitles pass holders who are residents in England to free off-peak travel on local bus services throughout the country. Once you have your pass, the scheme is free and easy to use.
Eligibility - find out if you can apply for a bus pass
You will be eligible for a concessionary travel pass (bus pass) if:
You have a disability:
- You need to meet the criteria shown on the guidance notes for a disabled person’s pass.
- Disabled person's bus pass application form
You are an eligible older person:
- You were born before 6 April 1950.
- If you are a woman born after 5 April 1950, you become eligible when you reach state pension age.
- If you are a man born after 5 April 1950, you become eligible when you reach the pensionable age of a woman.
- Check whether you are an eligible older person
- Older person's bus pass application form
- Older person's guidance notes.
You are unable to travel alone:
- If you are unable to travel alone and can meet other criteria, you can apply for a companion pass.
- Companion passes enable a friend, relation, or carer to travel with you.
- For this, you will need certification to show that you are unable to travel alone.
If you’d like to apply for a new or renewal pass, you can apply:
You can apply online which is the quickest way for your pass to be processed.
If you are applying to renew your bus pass online for the first time, you will need to apply as if you are a new applicant. You need to create an account on our online application website if you have not already done this.
Please email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Northumberland County Council
If you have any trouble with the process, please contact us on 0345 600 6400. For more information on how to contact us click here.
Older person's pass - when to apply
If you are nearly at the age where you become eligible for an older person’s pass, you can apply in advance. Please do not apply more than 28 days in advance. We will keep your application on file as we cannot issue a pass until you become eligible.
What to expect after you have applied for your bus pass
Take note of the following points:
- Receipt of your application does not mean we will issue you with a pass. If your application is incomplete or unclear, we will have to contact you. This will result in your application being delayed.
- We aim to send out passes within 15 working days of receiving a valid application. This allows us time to check your eligibility, and that your application is properly completed. Your application will therefore have all the necessary supporting evidence, and there will be nothing we need to query.
Information for bus operators If you are a bus operator in Northumberland who participates in the ENCTS, see the statutory notice here.
Privacy notice - how we handle your information