Asset Publisher

Household support fund Introduction

If you need a bit of additional support with household costs please contact Northumberland Communities Together and ask about the Household Support Fund.

Asset Publisher

Asset Publisher

Asset Publisher

This information was last updated on 8 February 2024


The Household Support Fund (1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024) is there to provide help to those who may not have received financial support from the UK Government’s Cost of Living payments and the previous phase of the Household Support Fund. The grant is funded by the Department for Work and Pensions. The scheme also aims to support those on a low income, who have limited savings, and are particularly at risk due to factors such as disabilities or caring for young children. Beware of Scams: The Household Support Fund scheme does not require banking details to provide support and we will never request this information over the telephone. If you receive any calls requesting this information, claiming to be from a local council, please be vigilant and follow the advice below:

  • Report the call to Action Fraud
  • Contact Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 1133 for advice if you need it.
  • Alert your bank if you have already given out your bank details. 

You can apply for the fund through: Northumberland Communities Together phone: 01670 620 015  Email  9am – 6pm (Mon – Friday) Your application will be dealt with by one of our team who may need to contact you for further information to support your application.

The fund can support with

Food through vouchers, cash or food in-kind.

Energy and water to support with domestic heating, cooking or lighting, including oil or portable gas cylinders. It can also be used to support with water bills including for drinking, washing, cooking, and sanitary purposes and sewerage. 

Essentials linked to energy and water including sanitary products, warm clothing, soap, blankets, boiler service/repair, purchase of new and used equipment including white goods, etc.), in recognition that a range of costs may arise which directly affect a household’s ability to access food, energy and water. 

Wider essentials these may include, but are not limited to, support with other bills including broadband or phone bills, clothing, and essential transport-related costs such as repairing a car or paying for fuel. This list is not exhaustive. 

Housing Costs where existing housing support schemes do not meet need, the Fund can be used to support some elements of housing costs.  

Our team may ask for the following:

  • last two months bank statements and; 
  • a recent energy bill

Click here to visit the HMGov's cost of living support hub

How will I receive support?

We will look at the information in your application to see what support you need.    

For Food and other essentials 

  • an e-voucher for food as a contribution towards your spending on these items
  • an e-voucher for other essential items linked to food, water/sewerage which can be redeemed in many supermarket outlets 
  • an electronic PayPoint Payment direct to your mobile device which can be used to make payment in store or cashed out to receive cash payment
  • an offer of practical support by local food providers such as Foodbanks, Community Ladders 

Energy/Fuel Support 

  • an energy top up payment processed by Northumberland Citizen Advice
  • an electronic Pay Point Payment direct to your mobile device which can be used to top up energy credit accounts and or pay bills
  • cookers, fridge freezers, washing machines and microwaves will be delivered. These could be reconditioned items 

Will there be any changes to the grant?

If we need to make any changes, an updated policy will be published on this page. All applications received the day after any published changes will be assessed in line with that updated policy. The scheme may close earlier if all the funding has been used.

What help can I get if I do not want to apply directly?

If you do not want to apply directly, you may be referred to the Northumberland Communities Together team by one of the following; Northumberland County Council Services, Statutory Partners or Community Partners, if you are receiving support from them including:

  • Children's social care through your social worker (if you receive support from them) 
  • Adults social care through your social worker (if you receive support from them) 
  • Your early help worker (if you receive support from them) 
  • Your Neighbourhood Housing Officer (if you are a Northumberland County Council tenant) 
  • Welfare Rights Service (if you receive support from them) 
  • Transitions Team (if you receive support from them) 
  • DWP Job Coach or caseworker (if you receive support from them) 
  • Your recovery caseworker (if you receive support from Northumberland Recovery Partnership) 
  • Your Local Social Prescriber working within your Primary Care Network/GP Surgeries 
  • Your local foodbank 

How is the decision made on grants?

We will assess your application and explain our decision. If you were referred by one of the above partners, we will provide an outcome of our decision to them.

Can someone apply on my behalf?

Yes, you can ask a family member or friend to apply on your behalf.

Where can I use my food e-vouchers?

If you are awarded an e-voucher, you will need to go online to convert this into a gift card for one of the following supermarkets. You can then spend the gift card in store.

  • Aldi 
  • Iceland 
  • Morrisons 
  • Tesco 
  • Sainsbury’s 
  • Asda 
  • Waitrose

Can I get help to submit an application?

If you need help to make an application, call us on 01670 620015, Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm. 

How long will this scheme run for?

The scheme will run from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024. Applications for support will run throughout the period of the scheme.

Exceptions to the funding

Anyone can apply for the funding however there are some exceptions: for example, where someone has community care needs, serious health problems or there is a risk to a child’s wellbeing. In these cases, please contact the OneCall who will be able to assess and refer into the scheme.

  • Onecall: 01670 536 400 
  • Email:
  • If you have speech or hearing difficulties, you can use Relay UK to contact us by dialling 018001 01670 536400 you can find more information about Relay UK here. 

Asset Publisher

Asset Publisher

Asset Publisher